Saturday, October 12, 2013

Where were we?

Kathryn and I came to Rome for the first time in August of 2008.  It was the beginning of a two week cruise that took us north as far as Monte Carlo and then south through the Greek Islands ending in Athens.  Too many ports of call to list, but we hit the highlights.  We arrived in Rome about 7am on a Sunday morning red eye from NYC.  Completely exhausted but having been told to stay up until night to help adjust the body clock.   After a walk around the Spanish Steps, our first time lost in Rome and some other stuff we had a private car tour set up for about Noon.  Our handsome Italian driver was named Giancarlo, he had a lovely Mercedes sedan, was perfectly coiffed and dressed to perfection.  I knew Kathryn was happy.  I was happy too but could barely keep my eyes open.  Giancarlo drove us around for 2-3 hours showing us the highlights of Rome.  However, we were so tired and so disoriented that we really had no idea where any of these places we were seeing were.  As we close out our time in Rome this time, after walking countless miles (we think we've averaged 5 miles per day) we have a pretty good feel for where things are, so much so that occasionally we actual help tourists that look hopelessly lost with their maps.

One of the places Giancarlo took us in 2008 was into a square where he told us to get out of the car, walk to a doorway and look through the keyhole.

We did and were amazed by what we saw.  Then away we went, back into the maze of Rome, as I dosed off in the back of the car, fighting my eyelids.

As we planned to come back to Rome for an extended visit this year, one of the things we wanted to do was find this keyhole and take another look.

I speculated that it was quite some distance from the city center.  I often speculate wrong.  It turns out to be up a hill a short walk from Circus Maximus (the chariot race track for you "Ben Hur" fans.)  We had walked by the hill at least three times during our stay headed to the Roman Forum, Testravede and the chariot race site.  Turning up the hill, past a magnificent memorial rose garden, we began to see amazing overlook vistas of Rome, and fellow tourists.  Finally we had found the spot.  Five years later and wide awake we had found it.



OK, this is the best my iPhone camera can do.  Looking through the  keyhole, a lovely hedgerow, perfectly coiffed.

As we took our turn looking a group of English speaking tourists, right behind us, that had been dropped by their driver were talking.  "I don't know, he just said that he wouldn't tell us and that we should look for ourselves."  I resisted the temptation to spill the beans and just smiled at them.

"You'll be glad he didn't tell you", I said  as I walked away.  I gave their driver a thumbs up, one of the international hand gestures I've come to rely on here.  (I have one picked out for the gypsies, but I'm waiting for the last day to try it out)




Here it is, taken by a professional:
















To learn more:

http://everything-everywhere.com/2009/05/12/behind-the-lens-the-story-of-the-rome-keyhole-photo/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_Military_Order_of_Malta

Rome is full of stuff like this.  Kathryn and I are blessed to have had the time to discover and place into perspective many places like this.  If you ever have the chance to visit Rome, .....  Take it!

Giovanni

PS - We are now opera fans.  The Barber of Seville earlier in the week and last night, the beautiful, but sad
La Bohème.

The view from our front rows seats:



No comments:

Post a Comment